Development & Communications Manager
As Los Angeles’ premier provider of high-quality capacity building services for nonprofits, each year, Executive Service Corps of Southern California (ESC) helps more than 125 nonprofit clients work towards their missions through affordable coaching and consulting by trained executive-level volunteers. Our vision is to see successful nonprofits making our community an extraordinary place in which all can thrive.
ESC's work environment is supportive, collaborative and exciting, and dedicated to high standards and professional growth. We are committed to creating a thriving work culture that is reflective of the diverse, equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist world in which we want to live. And because our work and the organizations we serve are deeply rooted in values that advance racial equity and social justice, we also aspire to actively reflect and root ourselves in these values throughout ESC.
Position Overview: We seek a dynamic and collaborative leader for the position of Development & Communication Manager (DCM). The DCM reports directly to the Vice President of Administration and leads the execution of ESC’s fund development strategy and activities including an ambitious grants portfolio, individual and corporate giving. The position is also responsible for executing on ESC’s external and internal communications and annual special events.
Reports to: Vice President of Administration
Supervises: Development and Communications Coordinator (DCC) and contracted consultants as needed.
Position: Permanent, Full-time, Exempt.
This position will work remotely until ESC resumes our work in person, at which point, the position will likely be hybrid (remote and in-person).
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package including health, dental, life, 403b program, paid holidays including paid time off between Christmas Eve and New Year, sick and vacation time.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Interim Vice President of Administration, the DCM will have primary responsibility for executing strategies that carry forth ESC’s fund development, communications and marketing and special events plans. The key tasks and areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Implements ESC’s comprehensive fund development plan for a diverse portfolio of major gifts, corporate, foundation and local government grants, and individual gifts;
- Executes an ambitious, year-round fundraising calendar, including grant proposal writing and reporting, donor acknowledgement and stewardship, annual giving (direct mail and online) campaigns, and data reporting and analysis, with the support of the DCC;
- Participates in meetings with donors/prospects and grantmakers alongside the Vice President of Administration, the President & CEO, other leadership team staff and board members;
- Liaises with appropriate program staff to oversee the collection of data and other program highlights and information to share with funders and donors, ESC’s Board and ESC leadership staff; and
- Supervises the DCC on development operations to ensure accurate and timely tracking of development activities, relationships, gift acknowledgments and overall fundraising results using the Salesforce CRM, shared filesystem and hard copy files.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversees and works directly with DCC on implementation of ESC’s communications and marketing activities which include digital communications such as eblasts, newsletters, etc., social media, printed marketing collateral and materials, annual report, website development and updates and other publications (printed and electronic);
- Oversees and implements on master communications and editorial calendar in coordination with DCC;
- Liaises with appropriate program staff to develop and oversee execution of marketing strategies for client and business development;
- Assists in the development of sensitive internal and external communications (letters and public statements) as needed; and
- Supervises the DCC to ensure accurate and up-to-date maintenance of records of communications and outreach campaigns, as well as collateral in hard copy and electronic formats (in filesystem and Salesforce CRM), including records related to target audiences and notable results.
- Has primary responsibility for oversight of the planning and direct execution of ESC’s events – virtual and in person – to cultivate and steward board, volunteer, funder and other community and stakeholder relations, with the support of the DCC and other departments; and
- Oversees the DCC’s development and documentation of ESC’s events management policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training and experience
- 5+ years of fund development experience including managing a portfolio of grants, individual giving and annual fund work
- Experience in nonprofit marketing and communications, special events and/or related fields
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Exceptional writing, research and oral communication skills
- Excellent detail orientation, task prioritization and time management skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Sharepoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack (or other fundraising CRM), social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), and online research tools strongly preferred
- Knowledge of WordPress and MailChimp (or other email marketing tool), a plus
- Strong ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with team members and with other constituencies and stakeholders
- Passion for ESC’s mission to empower nonprofit leaders and strengthen our region’s philanthropic and nonprofit sectors
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to identify opportunities and suggest solutions
- Desire to continuously develop fundraising knowledge and best practices, and to strengthen professional skills
- Willingness to learn and practice coaching skills as part of a team culture of mentoring and supportive listening
- Ability to foster personal connections and relationships with fellow staff members, volunteers and other community stakeholders
- High level of personal and professional integrity, with proven success in managing confidential and sensitive information
To Apply: Please email a resume, cover letter briefly describing your interest in the position, AND two grantwriting samples to email@example.com with the Subject line: "Development and Communications Manager". Any application missing requested documents will not be considered. This position will remain open until the staffing need is met.
ESC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive staff team and a work environment which treats all employees in an equitable and respectful manner at all times. ESC’s aim is for our staff, Board and volunteers to reflect the diversity of the community we serve.
For more information about ESC and our programs, please visit: https://escsc.org/