Senior Hydrogen Systems Technician
We are seeking a Hydrogen Technician to join our rapidly growing team that is developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first carbon-free regional airliner. You will be working with a product development team that is rapidly iterating the design and testing of the storage systems and powertrain, and playing a pivotal role in bringing to market a revolutionary propulsion system.
About the Role
- Serve as shop lead for the design, installation, testing and servicing of hydrogen storage and hydrogen plumbing interfaces for fuel cells.
- Install, checkout, and operate hydrogen delivery, storage, and processing equipment.
- Safely work with high-pressure and cryogenic hydrogen systems while developing hydrogen handling best practices.
- Provide feedback to engineering on hydrogen handling best practices, and manufacturability of designs.
- Project manage equipment and materials selection, contractor supervision, and development of procedures and documentation.
- Expert knowledge of the properties, behavior, and hazards of hydrogen.
- Working knowledge of cryogenic and gas delivery systems.
- Working knowledge of the installation and servicing of piping systems, valves, tanks and equipment.
- Knowledgeable in equipment selection, crane coordination, transportation scheduling, installation, startup support, and contractor/maintenance tech supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, flow sheets, equipment layout, piping drawings, and electrical controls schematics.
- Good communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Minimum 5 years of experience with hydrogen systems.
- Experience in laboratory and/or development setting preferred.
- Located in Southern California and ready to start immediately.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.