Lead Scientist - Protein Analytics
Xencor is an innovative, clinical-stage biotechnology company located in the Los Angeles area (near Pasadena) and in San Diego. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to discover and develop better biotherapeutics – antibodies and other proteins with improved function – with the goal of improving patient outcomes and quality of life, and we have an excellent opportunity for an experienced Lead Scientist, Biochemist or Molecular Biologist to join our team.
Our capabilities and the modular nature of XmAb technology allows us to quickly identify and create new platforms and drug candidates for potential development. We are developing a deep pipeline of novel drug candidates enabled by the rapid expansion of our bispecific antibody and cytokine technologies. Nine XmAb bispecific antibody programs are in clinical testing, and more are expected to start clinical testing in 2021. We also leverage our many XmAb technologies by engaging in multiple collaborations with leading global biopharmaceutical companies, including Novartis, Amgen and Genentech, among others. We and our partners are advancing 18 XmAb drug candidates through clinical development, and two medicines that incorporate XmAb technology are approved for commercial marketing.
We seek a Lead Scientist to join our Protein Sciences group. This is a primary contributor and supervisory role. The group is responsible for purification and characterization of antibodies and recombinant proteins produced from various mammalian expression systems using affinity and traditional chromatography. The incumbent will contribute to Xencor’s engineered protein therapeutic product research and development pipeline by providing expert scientific leadership and technical execution of methods on purification and biophysical characterization areas.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and mentor a team of Research Associates and Scientists.
- Data review, analysis, graphing, reporting and presentation to internal and external audiences.
- Apply scientific training and acumen to optimize and identify appropriate solutions for purification and biophysical analysis of challenging protein therapeutics.
- Maintain laboratory operations, including SOPs and project management.
- Establish working relationships with other groups within Research and Development to support the development of the Xencor pipeline.
- Maintain current knowledge of the field and area(s) of scientific expertise and development.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biology, or a related field with 5 or more years of research experience; industry experience preferred.
- Extensive hands-on experience with the design, development, and optimization in recombinant protein purification/characterization techniques across multiple platforms and technologies is a must (e.g., FPLC, HPLC, CE-SDS, cIEF).
- Broad experience in protein chemistry, automation, structural biology, protein formulation, stability assessments, labelling and conjugation techniques is highly desired.
- Experience with other large molecule biophysical characterization technologies (DLS, DSC, LC/MS) would be a strong plus.
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, adaptive learning, and the ability to work well in a team.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with experience in authoring and reviewing technical reports.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Xencor offers a creative, collaborative, and challenging scientific environment along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
The Company will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please contact HR@xencor.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Xencor does not accept profiles or resumes from recruiting vendors without a binding written agreement. Any unsolicited submission of services and or resumes in no way creates an obligation or duty by Xencor, implied or otherwise.