U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News is seeking a full-time Associate Editor for its News section, who will focus on guest commentaries and opinion coverage.
Primary day-to-day responsibilities will include a mix of researching, reporting and editing about topics related to politics and policy, health, education and the economy. You’ll be responsible for investigating potential issues and guest contributors; evaluating, recruiting and working with writers; editing and fact-checking content for flow, consistency, tone, grammar, spelling, AP style and accuracy; and collaborating with others across the newsroom to support with production, audience development and other efforts. You may occasionally have the opportunity to write as well. The ability to handle multiple short-term and longer-term assignments, while meeting tight deadlines, is key.
Experience in covering politics, health, education and/or the economy is a plus, but we will consider candidates with a track record of versatility and being able to master different subjects quickly. The position is based out of our Washington, D.C., office but remote work is an option. U.S. News is continuing with a mix of in-office and remote work for employees.
You Should Definitely Have:
- At least 2-3 years of professional news reporting, writing and/or editing experience
- Strong research, reporting, writing and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively multitask
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting strict deadlines
- Familiarity with SEO, content management systems, web production and social media are a major plus
- College degree or equivalent
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- Applicants must provide three writing/editing clips in addition to a résumé and cover letter.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.