Materials Test Engineer, Corrosion
What to Expect
The candidate will work as a member of Tesla’s Materials Test Group to lead, support, and advise on corrosion test activities. The position will be based in Fremont (California, USA) within the Materials Test Lab and require periodic travel to 3rd party test locations.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee corrosion testing for a wide variety of materials, components, and vehicles across all Tesla products. Assess risk within upcoming projects and ensure applicable tests are completed within demanding project timelines.
- Support off-site corrosion testing, including coordination with 3rd party test providers and internal test teams, performing detailed component and vehicle inspections, and documenting findings.
- Conduct testing in an extremely fast-paced, high-pressure environment. Interface with a broad spectrum of internal customers to drive concerns to a root cause and effective resolution.
- Independently complete materials tests and issue reports for approval. Create and manage “Concerns” documentation to facilitate and trace corrective actions to a resolution.
- Coordinate with Materials and Design teams to develop corrosion test procedures, test-to-field correlations, and associated evaluation criteria.
- Collaborate with internal engineering teams and external suppliers to develop and validate the performance of materials from the coupon to the vehicle level. Be capable of both working independently as well as part of broad cross functional teams to drive novel, best of class designs and solutions in the clean energy space.
- Work with materials test technicians to support test setup, test execution, and interpret test
What You’ll Bring
- B.S. in Materials Science/Engineering or Chemistry with a focus on Metallurgy, Corrosion or similar. Other candidates with exceptional work experience will also be considered.
- Exhibit a basic knowledge of materials, including metals, polymers, composites, and coatings. Experience with automotive materials and processes, including hands-on work on vehicles and components, is highly desired.
- Familiarity with corrosion testing, including both accelerated chamber testing and field testing.
- Ability to travel to support off-site testing for variable durations and totaling several weeks out of the year.
- Experience of working with hazardous materials with a willingness to exhibit and promote health and safety across the team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish effective working relationships.
- Broad experience of working and leading cross functional teams to drive product and specification development and a demonstrated ability to influence the direction of design based on test results
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, meet deadlines, and manage time independently.
- Maintain top level professional integrity and appearance.